One of the most import ways you can create a healthy body and mind is to eat real foods. These are whole foods that are more a product of nature, than a product of industry. Real foods are those home made meals, the foods your great grandparents ate, not the fast “convenience foods” that are so prevalent today.
Pay attention to what you eat. Avoid processed foods ladened with sugars, salt, artificial ingredients, and chemicals. Don’t eat refined grains. Read food labels. If there are a bunch of ingredients listed that you can’t even pronounce, don’t eat it. Better yet, eat foods that don’t need labels.
Put the right foods on your plate. Eat more raw fruits and vegetables. Include whole grains, beans, legumes, nuts, and seeds in your diet. Eat healthy fats. Choose organic when possible. Create balance and eat a variety of foods. Replace sugary soft drinks and alcoholic beverages with water, infused water, sparkling water, tea, and green juices. Here are some practical tips that you can implement to achieve your healthy goals.
To get or maintain a healthy, sexy body, how much you eat is just as important as what you eat. Do you know how much food is enough for you? Do you understand the difference between a portion and a serving?
Different foods have different serving sizes. Serving sizes are measured in cups, ounces, grams, pieces, slices, or numbers (like 1/2 a grapefruit, 1 oz. almonds, or 2 cups of kale). A serving size on a food label or in a healthy eating plan may be more or less than the amount you should eat, depending on your age, weight, whether you are male or female, and how active you are. Your portion size may or may not match the serving size.
Here are some easy ways to manage portion size:
- Serve your meals on smaller dishes, plates, bowls, and glasses, so that you eat and drink less.
- Buy snacks in single-serving packages, that are smaller.
- If you buy in bulk, divide the items into single-serve packages right away, so you aren’t tempted to overeat.
- If you make a lot of food at one time, freeze the extras or store it in individual portions.
- When eating out, share a meal with a friend or take half of it home.
- Avoid all-you-can-eat buffets!
To get more tips on how to control your portions, check out this post, ‘How to Quickly Lose Fat Using This Simple & Safe Technique’: https://bettelou.me/2016/03/20/how-to-quickly-lose-fat-using-this-simple-safe-technique/
TAKE IT SLOW
There are so many heathy benefits to eating slower! Your digestion will improve and you’ll feel less bloated. Your body will be well hydrated, you’ll have more energy, and even look younger. Slower eating also leads to fat loss, maintaining a healthy body weight, and greater satisfaction with your meals.
One of the most important reasons to eating slowly is that it gives your brain time to recognize that you’re full. It takes at least twenty minutes from the start of a meal for the brain to send out signals of satiety. So you’ll need to eat at least this slow so you no longer feel hungry.
Here are some simple strategies to help you slow down:
- Schedule a time to eat. Set aside at least 20 – 30 minutes for your meals, even longer if you can swing it.
- Chew your food thoroughly. Don’t just inhale your meal, chew every bite till it liquifies. Try chew counting and shoot for a minimum of 10 – 30 chews per bite.
- Put down your utensils between bites, take a moment, chew, breathe, then resume eating.
- Find someone who eats slower than you and follow their pace.
- Make meals a time to connect and socialize. Eat with family and friends. Enjoy good conversation between bites.
- Eat with chopsticks or your non-dominant hand.
- Eat foods that require some effort. Try things you have to shell or peel – like pistachios, sunflower seeds, or fruits like pomegranate.
SAVOR THE MOMENT
Eat mindfully! It’s all about paying attention to the way you eat. Studies have shown that eating mindfully improves digestion, regulates your appetite, and helps you enjoy your food much more. It’s the antidote to dieting. When you focus on what you eat, you’ll make better choices and avoid overeating.
Here are some tips on how to eat mindfully:
- Completely focus on what you’re eating. Notice the colors, textures, and smell of your food. Savor each bite. Enjoy the subtle nuances of flavors. Really taste your food.
- Sit down while you eat, in a calm environment.
- Avoid eating in front of the TV, while driving, walking, or when you’re busy with other activities.
- Don’t eat at work or at your desk. Go to the break room so you aren’t tempted to work while you eat.
- When eating, put away your phone, computer, and other smart devices.
- Pay attention to your body’s signals. Stop eating when you are no longer hungry.
What you eat, how much you eat, and the way you eat really matters. Make those wise choices and develop those smart habits. This will lead to a better, healthier life.
If you would like to get a healthy eating program, with recipes, menus, tips, and strategies, check out the meal plans in the Awaken Shop: https://bettelou.me/awaken-shop/
Awaken’s Fresh Start Program If you’re ready to change your life and start eating clean, this plan is for you. In this program you’ll get menus, recipes, shopping lists, tips, and strategies for healthy eating. You’ll also receive the guide to plant based proteins. If you want the healthy edge and vitality that clean eating provides, this is a great place to begin: https://bettelou.me/product/awakens-fresh-start-program/
Awaken’s Essential Detox is a clean eating program that provides that extra edge so you can meet and exceed your goals. In this plan you’ll get menus, recipes, shopping lists, tips, and strategies for clean eating. You’ll also receive extra guides on essential oils and how to use them to support your health. Get this program if you want the boost that essential oils add to your life: https://bettelou.me/product/awakens-essential-detox/
Awaken’s Sizzling Summer Program is a plan that also provides menus, recipes, shopping lists, tips, and strategies, but it has an extra added dimension. You’ll get 4, private coaching sessions with me, via Skype. Conquer the issues and problems that are holding you back from ultimate health and vitality. Get the extra support that wellness coaching can provide: https://bettelou.me/product/sizzling-summer-detox/