Here are some tips that are working for me:
- Put on a timer and commit to decluttering for at least 30 minutes.
- Sort through stuff quickly and make 3 piles. The keep pile, the donate pile, and the trash pile. Then go through the keep pile again. You’ll be amazed at how much of the keep pile you can get rid of by repeating this process.
- If you are having trouble parting with an item take pictures of it. Then you can have the good memory without using all the space.
- Use the rule of 5. Search around your house and find 5 things that you can donate, 5 that you can throw away, and 5 things that need to go in their proper place. Then do it!
- Grab a big trash bag or box then fill as quickly as possible with stuff to donate to good will.
- My favorite tip: If you find yourself attached to an item that doesn’t have a specific purpose ask yourself, “Does this item bring me joy?” If it doesn’t get rid of it.
So I hope you will join me on the road to simplicity. And let me know which tips worked for you. Also, feel free to share any other techniques or tricks that you found effective.