Research has found that laughter has numerous physiological and psychological benefits:
- Studies prove that laughter lower blood pressure, almost immediately and long term.
- A good laugh increases oxygen in the blood by improving vascular blood flow.
- Want a good ab workout? Just laugh…it has been proven to tone the diaphragm and abdominal muscles. Laughing also gives a workout to the respiratory, facial, leg, and back muscles.
- Laughter reduces the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline and facilitates relaxation.
- Research shows that laughter improves your immune system. It increase the response of tumor- and disease-killing cells such as Gamma-interferon and T-cells. So laughter really is a good medicine.
- Other studies show that laughing reduces the occurrence of respiratory infections–even reducing the frequency of colds–by immunoglobulon in saliva.
- In a study at Johns Hopkins University Medical School, humor during instruction led to increased test scores. In other research laughter increased memory and learning ability.
- A good laugh can increase alertness, creativity, and innovation.
So go ahead and laugh!
The next time you are feeling blue and want a really good laugh, go to Youtube and watch their cat videos.